Monday, December 5, 2011

Journey to Awareness (part one)

As many of you probably know, recently my family has been adopting a new diet-a Plant Based Diet.  In the following series of posts I would like to share the reasons for my family’s decision to change the way we eat.  I will be posting our journey in multiple, short posts not to bore you…but to keep it concise and allow you to think over the material for yourself.

Our journey started after my husband and I watched a documentary titled “Forks Over Knives.”  The film was sponsored in part by Harrisonburg Farmers MarketHere is the trailer:



I highly recommend this documentary!!!  You can watch it through Netflix.  Even if you are certain that you will not be changing your diet…PLEASE consider watching it.  The film made me think about a lot of things.  Honestly, at first I did not know what to do with all the information.  There were two things that bothered me the most:

1.    How come I have heard so little about this topic? Though being from a medical background-I seldom heard about diet as the primary contributor to our health conditions. I see families struggle while watching their loved ones suffer through some of the diseases mentioned in the film…yet rarely does diet come up in the treatment plan.
2.   After learning about the strong correlation between diet and health, what am I going to do now?  The options were: do I ignore this or look into it deeper and possibly make a change.

After thinking over the matter and talking to my husband the decision was clear-we could not ignore this!  We had a mutual agreement that it will be in our best interest to educate ourselves about the food we consume as a family.


to be continued...
Are you comfortably unaware about your food?

No comments:

Post a Comment