Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Biscotti


Growing up I remember Christmas being a very special time of the year.  Everything was special!!  Part of me wants to think perhaps it was the child in me who was so captivated.  Yet I know there was someone there who made the time so special.  For me it was my tenderhearted mother.  This I realized only after I moved out of my parent's house and started to create a home of my own.  I remember the very first Christmas as a newlywed...there was a desire to make it special...memorable...and sentimental.  I decided to make some Lemon-Pistachio Biscotti.  Since that time, almost 5 years went by and every Christmas season I make a batch of these wonderful delights!  This Biscotti is perfect with a morning coffee or an afternoon cup of tea.  I sometimes make these to make an ordinary day extraordinary...filled with memories of past times.

Ingredients:
©      1/3 cup Butter-softened
©      2/3 cup Sugar
©      2 teaspoons Baking Powder
©      1/2 teaspoon Salt
©      2 Eggs
©      1 teaspoon Vanilla
©      2 cups all-purpose Flour
©      Peel from 1 Lemon
©      1 cup Pistachio nuts
©      1/2 cup dried Cranberries



Directions:
1.  Beat butter with an electric mixer until butter becomes lighter in color, about a minute.  Add sugar, baking powder, and salt.   Beat until combined.


2.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add vanilla and beat until combined. 

My son helping to make the tradion happen!

3.  Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.  Using a spatula, stir in the remaining flour.  Stir in the lemon peel, pistachio nuts, and cranberries. 


4.  Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Shape into a 12-inch-long roll.  Place on a prepared (greased cookie sheet:  I use a silicon mat) cookie sheet and flatten slightly until about 4 1/2 inches wide. 

5.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops are slightly cracked.  Cool on cookie sheet for 30 minutes.

6.  Using a serrated knife cut each roll diagonally into an inch slices.  Place slices, cut side down, on the cookie sheets.  Bake at 325 degrees F for about 10 minutes.  Turn slices over and back additional 10 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. 



7.  Dip ends into or drizzle cool biscotti with lemon icing:  recipe below.



Lemon Icing:  In a small bowl stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel.  Stir in enough milk or lemon juice (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make icing of drizzling consistency.



I hope you will give these wonderful treats a try!  May this holiday season be a memorable one...may your heart be filled with simple joys and laughter!!  Happy December everyone! 



Original recipe adopted from from New Cook Book, Bridal Edition.

3 comments:

  1. These came out so delicious! I took some to a family lunch a few Sundays ago and everyone loved them. They are a million times better than buying them at the store. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscotti... I have a simpler version but I'm dying to try these! ;) They look great

    ReplyDelete