Thursday, September 20, 2012

Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries

 
I consider myself being very fortunate that my kids love fruits and vegetables.  I don't recall a time when I had to make them eat from those two food groups.  My 3 year old recently confessed to his Sunday school class that he loves lettuce.  What can I say, I'm one lucky mom!

Here is a recipe my family likes to use when change things up to the regular potato fries.  I was very surprised at how good these came out..being a timid fan of sweet potatoes.  A few techniques will make your fries excellent!

Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Serves ~ 2

©     2 medium Sweet Potatoes: peeled and cut into slightly thicker "French fries"
©     2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
©     1 Tablespoon light Brown Sugar
©     1/2 Teaspoon Salt
©     1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
 
 
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and cut potatoes. Soak in cold water for 20-30 minutes, this will aid in keeping the inside of the fries nice and moist. Mix sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
 
2. Drain potatoes and place into a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Heating the drained potatoes will aid in soaking up the oil and spices.
 
3. Drizzle HOT potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with spices. Mix well. Place potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick foil or parchment paper that has been lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Arrange potatoes into a single layer.
 
 
4. Bake potatoes 30-40 minutes. Check halfway through cooking, turn if necessary.
 
 
I hope you'll give these fries a go...try adding spices like Cayenne pepper. Garlic powder, or Taco seasoning mix for a spicier version.  Or add Nutmeg and a pinch of Cinnamon for a sweeter version.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment