Monday, September 17, 2012

Chickpeas Sandwich

Summer bouquet from my summer flowers.

It is hard to believe that summer is leaving us. The cool mornings and evenings makes me want to pause and ponder upon the fading summer. Autumn...a time of reflection and review... I encourage everyone to take the time to slow down...turn on some relaxing music and take the time to reflect.

I'm thankful for everyone who emailed, called, wrote, and came up to check on me and to request more posts. I'm grateful for such wonderful family and friends! As you all know I have two toddlers who keep me very busy. God has granted me an opportunity to take part in several ministries within our church-about which I hope to share a little more in the future.  As the season turns I'm hoping to comeback and post more.

 


To start things up again, here's a recipe for a quick and filling chickpeas sandwich. I will say that this sandwich resembles a tuna sandwich. When eating a more plant based diet I discovered that trying to make non-meat dishes taste JUST LIKE meat dishes is setting yourself to fail. Instead, I like to recreate recipes and call them for what they are.


I'm probably the worst when it comes to eating lunch. I get so busy with the kids and the chores that I often forget to eat...This recipe is delicious and quick...just what I need when it comes to lunch time at my house. The recipe can also be adjusted to your taste, here's a couple of suggestions:  spicy brown mustard, sweet relish, pickles, green onions, parsley, kelp, nutritional yeast, cumin...use your creativity.


Resembling Tuna- Chickpeas Sandwich
Serves 2
 
©      1 can Garbanzo beans (Chickpeas) drained and coarsely mashed
©      2 Tablespoons diced Red/Yellow Onion
©      1 Tablespoon diced Celery
©      1+ Tablespoon Vegenaise/Mayonnaise/Olive Oil
©      1+ Tablespoon Lemon juice/Red or White Wine Vinegar
©      Salt and Black Pepper to taste

1. In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans using a fork until you reach a desired consistency. I like a little more texture.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the beans and mix well. Taste and add more condiments (Mayo/Oil/Vinegar) to taste. Serve on sandwich bread or with whole grain crackers (an excellent packed lunch idea).


   
Happy Monday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back!! Love the summer bouquet. Gave the chickpeas sandwich a try today-WOW! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the recipe with home-cooked chickpeas and substituted Herbemare seasoning for celery. It is definitely a keeper for this veggie-loving dental student. Thanks sis! : )

    ReplyDelete