Saturday, February 18, 2012

Red Quinoa Vegetable Salad



Are you finding yourself daydreaming of spring like I am?  Every year in the middle of February I get excited for spring!  Busy with cleaning, taking care of kids, and getting ready for a February birthday I often find myself struggling to nourish my body for lunch.  I often don't have the time to cook something and simply settle for something that will "carry me over to dinner."  Guilty...I know.  My sister and I made this quick salad one day and since then it is the recipe I turn to when I need a power boost in the middle of my day.  This Red Quinoa Veggie Salad is packed with good fats and protein yet SO quick and easy to make.  Plus leftovers can be used at dinner time, or the following day for lunch!


Makes ~6 cups

For the salad:
©     1 cup uncooked Red quinoa
©     1 (14oz) can beans, drained and rinsed (any variety)
©     1 sweet red pepper, chopped
©     1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
©     2 Green Onions, chopped
©     1 cup fresh corn (optional: don't use frozen or canned)
©     1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

For the dressing:
©     4-5 tbsp lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes)
©     1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
©     1/2 tsp ground black pepper
©     1 garlic clove, minced
©     1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
©     1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil


Directions:
1. Cook 1 cup Red Quinoa according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, chop up vegetables and whisk together the dressing.


3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
4.  Combine the beans and vegetables and toss well.




4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well adding additional salt and pepper as needed. If desired, refrigerate salad before serving. Can refrigerate in a sealed container for 1-2 days.


I hope you'll take the time to nourish your body and soul this weekend!  Blessings!


Inspired by Epicurious

No comments:

Post a Comment