Monday, January 16, 2012

Split Pea Soup


I have been wanting to make some peas soup...I honestly could not remember the last time I had a bowl!  With the weather being so cold these days a thought of a warm soup is very welcoming!!  Instead of having a thin peas soup I wanted to make a thicker, richer kind...perhaps with a few extra vegetables to maximize the taste!  Here is how I created a richer variety of the simple split peas soup.  Plus, some REALLY exciting news at the end of this post!!! 


Ingredients:
©      1 cup split Peas- rinsed
©      1 medium Zucchini-cubed
©      1 medium Carrot-cubed (julienne for quicker cook time)
©      1 large Celery stalk-cubed
©      1 medium Potato-julienne (I used left over mashed potatoes)
©      1/2 cup Green Onions- thinly sliced (peas goes very well with green onions)
©      1/4 cup Parsley- snipped
©      1 clove Garlic-minced
©      4-6 cherry Tomatoes-diced: Optional
©      2-4 cups of water/Vegetable broth
       (add a vegetable cube to a cup of water to make a quick veggie broth)

©      1 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes
©      Herbal Seasoning-I use Herbamire
©      Black Pepper
©      Olive Oil
©      Salt



1.  If you have the time, cook the peas in a pot by placing peas in a pot and cover completely with water.  Bring the water to a boil and reduce head to a slow simmer.  Simmer peas for 35-45 minutes, add additional water if needed.  If you don't have the time, cook the peas in a microwave.  Using a large microwave safe bowl place peas in the bowl and cover completely with water.  Microwave on high for 14-20 minutes, add additional water if needed.  Peas should be soft and able to be mashed with a fork when done. 

2.  While peas is cooking:  Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil.  When the oil gets hot add the crushed red pepper flakes and cook stirring occasionally for about 30 seconds.  Add zucchini, carrot, celery, garlic, tomatoes, and potato (if using mashed potatoes-add to the soup when adding peas.)  Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.  Add  green onions and parsley at the last 2 minutes of cooking. 

3.  Mash cooked peas with a fork or potato masher, add a couple of tablespoon of water/vegetable broth if needed.  Add mashed peas (and mashed potatoes if using) to the soup pot.  Add a cup or two of  water/vegetable broth to reach a desired consistency.  Heat soup to a slow simmer.

4.  Add a small amount of spices:  black pepper, herbal seasoning, salt.  Now you can either leave your soup as is-chunky.  Or you can put it into a blender to make silkier.  I like to have it in between...to reach that I blended half of the soup in a blender and used a potato masher to coarsely mash the rest. 

5.  Taste soup and add additional spices as desired!  Add additional water/vegetable broth if needed.  I like to put additional green onions and red pepper flakes on the top of my soup... for that extra warmth!  Serve with a couple of slices of bread or some toasted tortillas!!



I hope you'll give this soup a try!  I believe this vegetable loaded peas soup is my new favorite from the peas variety!!


P.S.  Stay tuned...a "face lift" for my blog page is coming!  And for all of you quote and poetry lovers, there is a surprise in the making!!  

Is there a recipe you're yearning to see from my kitchen?  Perhaps an ingredient that you wish to see in "action"...email me, I would love to hear from you!!  My email is:  one sunny home (at) gmail (dot) com all one word, without spaces.  Hope to hear from you!  ~Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. i bet my one year old daughter would love this! I should give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter really enjoyed it! I made it a little thinner in consistency for her..making it more bland. My son enjoyed dunking the tulip tortillas :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm... Looks delicious! ;) I love different soups! It's going on my Pinterest board! ;)

    ReplyDelete